Audio stutter and delay on live TV: Have tried everything to fix.
Barry Milliken
2004-09-23 02:45:07 UTC
I was a happy Media Center TV user for 18 months.
Then one day the audio for Live TV started breaking up and slowing down.

This affects only live TV. Any TV recorded can be played OK.
I can play music either using Media center or Media Player no problem.

I can usually fix the TV audio problem for a minute or two by changing
channels, but it soon returns.

Since I have a maint contract with HP, I've spent a lot of time on the phone
over the last 3 months
with their help desk. Based upon their advice I've done the following:
- reinstalled all relevant drivers.
- Verified I was on the latest release.
- turned off most non essential memory resident processes.
- replaced the tuner card with one they sent.
- attempted a system restore from a point before the problem started. (this
came back with message that restore could not be completed(?) - no further
explaination.
- No I have not installed any DVD burner software that interferes with media
center. I don't burn any CDs or DVDs except for a monthly data backup of
non-media data.
- The cable TV service I use also feeds a regular TV in another room and
it's OK.

HP obviously doesn't really know what is going on. Their last solution is
for me to ship the computer to them.
They will erase entire disk drive and reinstall XP. Then send it back in a
couple of weeks. Then I would need at least 3 days setting up restoring
data, settings, network stuff, etc etc.
Since I use the computer for my business, that is not an option.

HP treats media center PCs and a non-business computer so I can't get the
type of maint contract where they send my a replacement computer before I
return the old. Then I could get the new machine up in a day.

Does MS have better advice???
--
Barry Milliken
barry dot milliken at verizon dot net
Al Lounsbury
2004-09-23 03:24:48 UTC
It sounds like some process is running and stealing needed CPU cycles from
media center, or the hard disk is so badly fragmented that it MCE cannot
buffer and playback without degradation.

So I would chkdsk and defrag first - to clean up the disk, and if no success
there, then when the audio is stutt-tt-tt-ter-rr-rring, bring up task
manager and see what other tasks are consuming CPU cycles in a big way.

Hopefully that provides a starting point. Let us know how fragmented the
drive is/was.

Al
Barry Milliken
2004-09-23 22:09:09 UTC
Al,

Actually I've been thru all that too.

fragment report is: 39gb used, 67gb free space
total frag 15%, file frag 30 %

Anyhow I just defragged again. Now 6% total frag and 13% file.

But when Live TV is on problem does not go away. CPU use is between 60 and
80%.
main process users of spu are: Navapsvc, ehrec, ehshell. all otherprocesses
are below 3%.

Stutter starts immediately on opeing live TV. If I change channel, stutter
goes away but sound is on a 1 or 2 second delay.
after about a minute or 2 stutter reappears. Then if I change channel same
process recurs.

If bufferring was a problem you would think video (being a larger data
stream than audio) would be affected, but it's fine.

Hoping XP service patch 2 will help but I can't get download to complete.

Thanks for trying

Barry
Terry Walsh
2004-09-24 06:38:28 UTC
Barry,

You may need to do a full rebuild of your PC - it's the most drastic step,
but it usually does the trick.

Good luck...

Terry
Barry Milliken
2004-09-24 11:26:58 UTC
Gee thanks a lot (%$^%$%$**).
I just thought maybe I wasn't the only one with this problem
and just maybe MS might want to discover what causes this.
Rebuild and we'll never know.

Barry
Peter Near [MCE MVP]
2004-09-24 13:18:32 UTC
I've never seen anyone else with an audio-only stutter.

The only thing that's unique between Live TV and Recorded TV is that it
is using a buffer file on the HD instead of writing a flat file to the
HD. Let me poke at a few other long-shot possibilities before rebuilding.

1. Your disk I/O can't keep up.

- does it seem like the memory is full and swapping to disk? You can
check physical RAM free in the task manager while playing live video.

- if you're recording one channel, and watching some other recorded TV
program how does that work? Theoretically, this should be a similar
amount of disk I/O as Live TV.

- in hardware manager, make sure that your disk is not in some odd
compatibility mode.

2. The temp file is messed up.

- first, try changing the location of your "Recorded TV" files. You can
do this in the MCE settings page. I'm theorizing that this might create
a new temp directory for live TV.

- if that doesn't work, try renaming (but don't delete) the temporary
directory in your recorded TV folder. Hopefully this will force MCE to
create a new one. If this is successful, then you can delete the old
directory.

Good luck, but at this point we're grasping at straws. FYI the HP
machines with emuzed cards do typically have a problem with completely
cutting out audio, but stuttering is not typical.

Pete
Barry Milliken
2004-09-29 01:46:00 UTC
Hi Peter, I just got back from a trip.
Here are results running live TV:
1. in The task manager performance window I have 50 to 70 % cpu usage. Page
file usage is below half (425 MB).
As I'm watcheng the graphs the sound is starting to break up and slowing
down.
There are no spikes in either graph. ehshell is getting 25-36% of cpu and is
top user. ehrec is second at 11-19%.
I don't see a statistic for "physical RAM free".
Recording a program while watching another recorded program works.

IN device manager I clicked on properties of disk drive: samsun Sv1204H.
Don't see anything relating to compatibily mode.

2. the emuzed device properties look OK.

I don't see where I can change temp location under MCE settings?
And I don't know where the temp directory is??

Barry
Nigel Barker
2004-09-30 07:59:49 UTC
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:46:00 -0400, "Barry Milliken"
Post by Barry Milliken
Hi Peter, I just got back from a trip.
1. in The task manager performance window I have 50 to 70 % cpu usage. Page
file usage is below half (425 MB).
No way should you have 50-70% CPU utilisation. What system do you have? A
2.6-3GHz P4 is the norm but MCE will run quite happily on an Athlon 2000+. What
TV card do you have?
\

--
Nigel Barker
Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur
Barry Milliken
2004-10-01 00:58:38 UTC
I have an HP MC PC 873N
Pentium 4 - 2.53 GHz 512 MB RAM
TV is Emuzed Evcap Maui
Barry Milliken

Al Lounsbury
2004-09-24 20:23:10 UTC
Barry,

Sorry for the delay but was travelling. Please kill the NAVapsvc - the
Norton auto-protect and let me know the result. Anti-virus programs are
notorious for weird side affects.

Thanks Al
Barry Milliken
2004-09-29 01:21:05 UTC
Hi AL,

I just got back from a trip.
I disabled autoprotect from the system tray, but that had no effect.
The process NAVapsvc still exists however uisng 540K of memory.
I tried to end process from task manager but it won't die.

Barry
JAS
2004-09-25 13:33:06 UTC
Try disabling your anti virus. I believe that 'navapsvc' is part of
Norton Anti-Virus. I had a similar problem on an HP 873 where I had to
diable Norton to watch TV. I tried many times to uninstall and reinstall
Norton, but the problem persisted.
Post by Al Lounsbury
Post by Barry Milliken
non-media data.
- The cable TV service I use also feeds a regular TV in another room and
it's OK.
HP obviously doesn't really know what is going on. Their last
solution
Post by Barry Milliken
is
Craig
2004-09-24 14:39:23 UTC
Mine is doing the same thing. I would hope there was a
setting that would disable the automatic
buffering/recording of Live TV... the "Pause Live TV"
feature should be optional - I think that would enable
better multi-tasking... is there any way to do this that
anyone is aware??
Post by Barry Milliken
return the old. Then I could get the new machine up
in a day.
Post by Barry Milliken
Does MS have better advice???
.
Mark Slack
2004-09-27 22:49:02 UTC
I have an HP ZD7000 and am experiencing the same problem, but ONLY after I
installed all of the windows security updates. Prior to that, it was working
just fine and dandy. If it frustrates me enough, I will rebuild the laptop
from the original CDs and leave out the updates.
Ryan
2004-10-01 09:37:11 UTC
i am having the same probelm it happened a while ago and i tried to fix it
and just gave up so i cant remember if it started after any security updates
if thats the cas how do i uninstall all of them.

anythingn would help i am having the same problem as Barry
Denton Kump
2004-10-01 22:07:05 UTC
Hi Barry,

I, too, was a happy Media Center TV user, but only for 4 weeks. The exact
same problem happened to me, and like you, the HP support people had me jump
over the same hoops--all to no avail. I was able to do a system restore, and
miraculously, it fixed the problem, but only for 1 or 2 days. I tried the
service pack 2, but again, no luck. Now I'm back to the same stuttering and
out of sync audio and video. Out of curiosity, what model hp are you running
MCE on? Mine is an HP m1080n. Let me know if you find any solutions!

Thanks,

Barry Milliken

Tim Schoch
2004-10-07 16:31:08 UTC
Sounds like it might be a heat problem. Do you have anyway to check the temp
on the CPU and Mainboard? Processors usually run quite a bit slower when
they get heated up. Also, touch the TV Tuner hardware to see how hot it is.
TV Tuners have a tendency to heat up also after continued use.
Barry Milliken
2004-10-08 00:25:06 UTC
Tuner is warm but not hot when not being used. I leace PC on continuously
Since problem happens immediately after startup of MC app , "cojntinued use"
deos not seem to be a factor.

How would one check temp on main board? What temp should it be?

Barry
Mark Slack
2004-10-08 04:21:09 UTC
I found the following on the MS web site. I would think this MAY have
something to do with this?

FIX: Windows Media Audio 9 Speech codec may lose synchronization
View products that this article applies to.
SYMPTOMS
When encoding a live source with the Microsoft Windows Media Audio 9 Speech
codec, the audio stream may lose synchronization with the video stream.
CAUSE
The Windows Media Audio 9 Speech codec is not correctly handling frequency
oscillator drift in the audio clock. This may cause audio and video
synchronization problems to occur.
RESOLUTION
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended
to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to
systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive
additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this
problem, we recommend that you wait for the next release that contains this
hotfix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product
Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the
following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support
calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a
specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply
to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the
specific update in question.
Microsoft Windows XP

The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download
Center:
Download the WindowsXP-KB884723-v2-x86-Enu.exe package now.

Should we take a gamble and install the fix?

Mark
Barry Milliken
Mark Slack
2004-10-10 01:07:01 UTC
I believe you, but it doesn't make sense does it? This is a fix which hasn't
even been incorporated into a release yet. Hmmm...

I will dig a little deeper. Sorry that didn't help.

Mark
Aber
Barry Milliken
2004-10-18 01:28:57 UTC
OK I've tried working w/ microsoft and HP.
All attempts at a fix have failed. Formating hard drive is not an
acceptable answer
to maintaining consumer products.

I am giving up on Media center.
I going to get a DVR device that is stand alone and connects to my cable.
It will handle HDTV no problem.

Media center is just too fragile, problems too undiagnosable, to many
factors unsolvable.
The whole think is a mistake.
Aber
2004-10-18 01:41:02 UTC
Barry, I found this on the DELL forums. It worked for me hope it does for you.
Let us know if it helps
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_xpmedia&message.id=598
Barry Milliken
2004-10-19 01:02:04 UTC
Thanks but I don't have wireless keyboard or mouse.
Only USB device I have is my printer.
So I unplugged USB printer cable.
rebooted.
Same problem with audio stutter and delay.

Did you want me to uninstall the printer driver as well before rebooting?
jthijssen
2004-11-29 01:21:01 UTC
I have had the same problem for the past month with my shuttle xpc 6200K
media center pc (Avermedia M150 tuner and ATI 9100 IGP, Logitech bluetooth
mouse + PS keyboard).

If you can't use a wireless mouse or any other USB device, the MCE is even
more worthless than I thought. Overall, it comes across as a hastily
slapped-together collection of software that doesn't work together and has
too many uncontrollable / undiagnosable settings.

Other features work fine but, except for the radio, I already had all those
features without MCE.
Nigel Barker
2004-11-29 09:10:30 UTC
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:21:01 -0800, jthijssen
Post by jthijssen
I have had the same problem for the past month with my shuttle xpc 6200K
media center pc (Avermedia M150 tuner and ATI 9100 IGP, Logitech bluetooth
mouse + PS keyboard).
Your graphics card is woefully underpowered for MCE 2005. It's not surprising
that you have problems. ATI Radeon 9600 is a minimum.
Post by jthijssen
If you can't use a wireless mouse or any other USB device, the MCE is even
more worthless than I thought. Overall, it comes across as a hastily
slapped-together collection of software that doesn't work together and has
too many uncontrollable / undiagnosable settings.
Of course you can use USB devices. I have an external disk drive plus wireless
keyboard & mouse plus digital camera upload all via USB.

MCE is not the only game in town. There are quite a few alternatives some of
which have features that are lacking in MCE e.g. support for DVB-S.

BeyondTV www.snapstream.com
SageTV & SageRecorder www.sage.tv
Showshifter www.showshifter.com
GB-PVR http://www.gbpvr.com/
Media Portal http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/
MythTV http://www.mythtv.org/

Barry Milliken
2004-10-20 01:21:11 UTC
I do notice that my system fan goes on when I start the media center app and
goes off when I close it.
Does any one know how the fan is controled? Does it sense temperature? If
so how can I monitor?

Mybe I'm overheating?
Dana Cline - MVP
2004-10-20 13:57:07 UTC
Google for Motherboard Monitor, or perhaps MBM. It's a great little free
monitor that works with a large variety of motherboards...

Dana Cline - MVP
Post by Barry Milliken
I do notice that my system fan goes on when I start the media center app and
goes off when I close it.
Does any one know how the fan is controled? Does it sense temperature?
If
Post by Barry Milliken
so how can I monitor?
Mybe I'm overheating?
kbeaubs
2004-11-01 02:54:02 UTC
Here's a bit of information. I'm having the same problem, and my computer is
only 5 hours old.

HP Pentium 4 540
512 MB
250 Hard Drive
ATI Radion x300SE

I do have wireless keyboard and mouse. I'll try to use it without them.
Barry Milliken