Audio Error with MCE since installing SP2
John H
2004-08-25 15:27:17 UTC
Since installing SP2 update, I am unable to play music in Media Center. I
keep getting audio error:

"Audio Error -- To play music in Media Center, install Windows Media Player
9 or repair your current installation."

I have WMP9 installed, have reinstalled it, installed WMP10(Beta). The
players work fine by themselves. Still the same error. Is there a way to
correct this without uninstalling the SP2 update.
Luis A. Burgos
2004-08-26 04:00:37 UTC
John,

This error seems to be pretty unique to you. I haven't found any other
references to such a problem.

Did it happen right after you installed SP2? Did you upgrade any drivers
inmediately before or after the SP2?

Do the "tada" and "dings" (sound effects) in MC still work? Does Live TV
have audio? Can you play DVD?

Does windows Media Player work correctly?

Regards,

Luis
Bob C.
2004-08-27 14:07:02 UTC
John/Luis,

I have had the exact same problem happen with my pc. As soon as I installed
the SP2 update, I was unable to play music through Media Center. If I
clicked on My Music, I received the exact same error message.

I tried installing the Media Player 10 Beta but still had the same error. I
then uninstalled Windows Media Player 10 AND SP2 and now everything works
fine again.

There appears to be a problem with SP2 and MCE 2004 (at least on John's pc
and mine).

Bob C.

My System:
HP 854n Media Center PC
MCE 2004
SP1 (I had to uninstall SP2 because My Music wouldn't work)
1GB RAM
eMuzed Tuner
Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 Asylum
Bob C.
2004-08-27 14:12:20 UTC
One other comment...

Before I uninstalled SP2, I downloaded and reinstalled Windows Media Player
9 (thinking that maybe that would correct the problem). I received the same
"Audio Error" message when I tried to access My Music from within Media
Center. As indicated in my prior posting, only the uninstallation of SP2
corrected my problem.

BOB C.
Post by Bob C.
Dave Neff
2004-08-27 14:09:04 UTC
Luis,

I updated yesterday and have the exact same problem.
DivX files play fine with audio and video, TV is fine,
but I have the exact same error when I click on My Music.

I ran media player outside of the Media Center. The
first time it did ask a few questions (setup wizard).
Then, it worked fine for playing my playlists. Then, i
ran the media center ap, still same problem. Rebooted a
couple times and still the same problem.

Dave
This error seems to be pretty unique to you. I haven't
found any other
references to such a problem.
Did it happen right after you installed SP2? Did you
upgrade any drivers
inmediately before or after the SP2?
Do the "tada" and "dings" (sound effects) in MC still
work? Does Live TV
have audio? Can you play DVD?
Does windows Media Player work correctly?
Regards,
Luis
message
.
Tomas
2004-08-27 18:19:07 UTC
John, Yesterday after installing the SP2 update I received exactly the same
error response in my MCE that you did. Everything else works fine except my
music. I haven't tried anything to solve this problem because I don't want to
blindly spash around without knowing what I'm doing. I really don't want to
uninstall the SP2 fixes, I just hope Microsoft can solve this problem soon,
as I now see this is a problem shared by many of us.
Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]
2004-08-27 20:07:08 UTC
did you install WMP10 before applying SP2?
see zach's web site for some tips that may help you
http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist
MS-MVP (Windows)
Bob C.
2004-08-27 20:16:47 UTC
I applied SP2 and couldn't get into My Music. I then downloaded and
reinstalled WMP9. I tried to get into My Music again and still failed. I
then downloaded and installed WMP10. I still could not get into My Music.
I uninstalled WMP10 and still couldn't get into My Music. I then
uninstalled SP2 and now everything works fine again.

BOB C.
MS-MVP (Windows)
Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]
2004-08-28 10:39:04 UTC
Michel found a page on the hp site for the 873's and found that he
needed to uninstall SP2, run a patch from HP and then reinstall SP2.
There is one for your system at
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?product=306210&os=228&lang=en&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-23488-2

There seem to be new driver downloads dated 8-25 for your 854 as well
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=306210&lang=en&cc=ca&lc=en&dlc=en&os=228
MS-MVP (Windows)
Michel Bordeleau [MVP]
2004-08-28 16:37:01 UTC
Actually Barb, I didn't need to uninstall SP2... I just applied the patch
and re-installed SP2 on top of the original install... it's faster that way.
:)
--
Michel Bordeleau
MS-MVP - Windows XP Media Center Edition
MS-MVP (Windows)
coach
2004-08-28 18:25:02 UTC
Hi Barb: I clicked on your link and found what seems like an HP solution to
the problem for an MCE computer other than the 873n. I'm unsure if this
download applies to a specific computer model or all HP MCE computers with
this particular glitch. Before I uninstall the SP2 upgrade and apply a patch
and re-install, I want to be sure as to what I'm doing, as I'm relatively
unsophisticated in this type of endeavor. I wonder if the "Audio Error -- To
play music in Media Center, install Windows Media Player
9 or repair your current installation." is an HP problem only, or are other
computer brands with MCE affected also? Thanks for your help. I'll continue
to monitor this message board in hopes of a solution from a bright
contributor soon.
MS-MVP (Windows)
Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]
2004-08-28 19:48:20 UTC
which HP do you have exactly? Michel stated he applied the patch and
then reinstalled SP2 on top of itself without uninstalling it.

did you try searching the HP site for your exact model?

MS-MVP (Windows)
Michel Bordeleau [MVP]
MS-MVP (Windows)
Johnny C.
MS-MVP (Windows)
Bob C.
2004-08-27 20:54:02 UTC
I did not try any of the other features that you mentioned before I
uninstalled SP2 so I'm unsure about those features on my pc. I would tend
to think that the problems would be the same on all of our systems though.

BOB C.
I, too, have the same dilemma. At the same time, however, I can't access
few other features like "Online Spotlight," "More Programs," (both "Gem
Master" and "Otto"), some of the "Privacy Statements," or "Adjust display
settings" without "EHShell.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging
Service"
popping-up and telling me to terminate the program. Other than all those
problems, everything else works perfectly fine. Does anyone else
experience
those problems along with the "Audio Error" one?
Michel Bordeleau [MVP]
Bob J
2004-09-10 04:45:02 UTC
*I, too, have the same dilemma. At the same time, however, I can'
access a
Post by John H
Since installing SP2 update, I am unable to play music in Medi
Center. I
Post by John H
"Audio Error -- To play music in Media Center, install Window
Media Player
Post by John H
players work fine by themselves. Still the same error. Is there
way to
Post by John H
correct this without uninstalling the SP2 update. *
I also have the same problem with my Windows XP Media Center.
Originally after installing SP2 my entire media Center would not com
up. I uninstalled SP2 and the TV worked but nothing else.
reinstalled SP2 in safe mode and then the Media Center would come up
the TV worked and I still could not bring up the Media Player from th
Media Center. The Media Player does come up from its own icon. I als
updated to Media Player 10 but it still could not come up through th
Media Center. I still have a red circled icon with an exclamation mar
where the Media Center icon was. I did however go into ehshell an
make a new short cut to ehshell.exe and renamed it Media Center. I
looks just like the old one but of course it still can't bring up th
Media Player through the Media Center. I did'nt expect it to but i
looks better then the red icon which I could delete but am waiting t
hear back from Windows Support for a real fix. This does seem to be
very common problem.
Bob

-
Bob
pissedatmce
2004-09-14 19:23:20 UTC
Same problem and I have tried everything to fix it...just another M
blunder if you ask me

-
pissedatmc
dishman
2004-09-15 06:09:16 UTC
*Since installing SP2 update, I am unable to play music in Medi
Center. I
"Audio Error -- To play music in Media Center, install Windows Medi
Player
9 or repair your current installation."
I have WMP9 installed, have reinstalled it, installed WMP10(Beta).
The
players work fine by themselves. Still the same error. Is there
way to
correct this without uninstalling the SP2 update. *
I just upgraded a Sony Vaio R Series Media Center PC with XP SP2 and i
has the same "Audio Error" problem. They better come up with a patc
for it soon, what a joke. I wonder how Sony was able to roll out it'
new RA810G with Media Center 2004 installed? They must have a
answer!! Does anybody have an answer

-
dishma
tastewar
2004-09-20 19:27:49 UTC
*I just upgraded a Sony Vaio R Series Media Center PC with XP SP2 an
it has the same "Audio Error" problem. They better come up with
patch for it soon, what a joke. I wonder how Sony was able to rol
out it's new RA810G with Media Center 2004 installed? They mus
have an answer!! Does anybody have an answer? *
I've an HP 876x and I've been through the wringer on this. Same Audi
Error message. I had originally applied SP2, then the HP fixes, the
WMP10. Then I backed out of WMP10, then backed out of SP2. It was onl
then that my audio functionality came back in Media Center. I the
applied all the HP fixes listed on their web site, (audio stil
working), then applied SP2 and bye-bye audio in Media Center. As other
have reported, MP itself works fine. I then tried re-applying the H
fixes, and re-applying SP2, but to no avail.

Man this sucks

-
tastewa
PatAdler
2004-10-08 04:25:02 UTC
I'm having the same problem with a Toshiba P25-S676. Never had the beta for
either program. What an annoyance...
*I just upgraded a Sony Vaio R Series Media Center PC with XP SP2 and
it has the same "Audio Error" problem. They better come up with a
patch for it soon, what a joke. I wonder how Sony was able to roll
out it's new RA810G with Media Center 2004 installed? They must
have an answer!! Does anybody have an answer? *
I've an HP 876x and I've been through the wringer on this. Same Audio
Error message. I had originally applied SP2, then the HP fixes, then
WMP10. Then I backed out of WMP10, then backed out of SP2. It was only
then that my audio functionality came back in Media Center. I then
applied all the HP fixes listed on their web site, (audio still
working), then applied SP2 and bye-bye audio in Media Center. As others
have reported, MP itself works fine. I then tried re-applying the HP
Alphastream
2004-10-27 15:05:03 UTC
For many with this Audio error, the solution has been to apply the HP fix
and then re-install SP2.

Despite this being an HP fix, it worked on my Dell.
Alphastream
2004-10-27 15:05:07 UTC
SOLVED!

At least in my case, applying the HP fix discussed in the forums at
XPMCE.com did fix this problem, even though I have a Dell.
louckske

Lez Pye
2005-05-22 20:43:07 UTC
Hi everyone - I still have this exact problem and can only access my music
via windows media playe and no longer with MCE since SP" was foisted on my
laptop - what can we do? Les
Alphastream
2005-05-23 15:06:10 UTC
The solution is as follows:

1) Install the HP patch if you have not already. The link for this has been
posted on this forum and is certainly on the xpmce.com forums. It is an HP
patch but works on Dell and other systems (worked on my Dell). This solves
the issue of audio not working correctly after SP2.

2) Go to control panel and click on Add/Remove Programs. On the left side
there is a set of icons. Click on the Set Program Access and Defaults. Click
on the right hand down-arrow icon next to the row marked Custom. You will see
a number of Media Center options with a checkbox that says "Enable
access...". My suggestion is that for anything that is not working/appearing
in MCE, select the boxes if they are not selected. Reboot, then verify
everything is working/appearing. If the buttons are ALREADY selected,
Deselect them, reboot, open control panel again, select the items, reboot,
and then test in MCE. This fixes the issue of options such as "My Radio" not
appearing in MCE.

Hope that helps!

===